Informsec2013: Report for Milestone #1
1. What we have done for milestone #1
- Gpg4win 2.1.1-beta released (2013-05-16) which includes:
- new Gpg4win installer (all components are updated; see section 2.)
- website updated
- announcement on all gpg4win mailing lists (in English and Germen)
- Kleopatra's non-latin encoding bug fixed with an updated Kleopatra package
- Windows7 (64bit) test system is set up. Windows8 (64bit) license is orderd and will set up as second test system for the next milestone.
- Checked all Kleopatra bug reports on bugs.kde.org and Gpg4win tracker (see section 3.)
- Set up a new wiki for GnuPG/Gpg4win community: wiki.gnupg.org
- Released GnuPG 2.0.20.
- Released GPA 0.9.4
- Released GPGME 1.4.1
- Migrated the installer to the i686-w64-mingw32 toolchain.
- Updated most included packages to decent versions.
- Fixed many included packages to allow the use of that toolchain.
- Fixed a long standing bug in GPGME which led to spurious Kleopatra hangs.
- Improved of the build system.
- Updated Claws-Mail and changed to cope with the now internal plugins.
2. Updates of Gpg4win components and libraries
We checked (and if required updated) all in Gpg4win integrated packages. An overview of updated packages:
Package old version new version kleopatra 2.1.0 (20110204) 2.1.1 (20130516) from KDE 4.1.4 4.10.3 -qt 4.4.0 4.8.4 -dbus 20090701 1.4.24-20130417 -oxygen-icons 20100218 4.10.3 gnupg2 2.0.19 2.0.20 -adns 1.4-g10-2 1.4-g10-3 -dirmngr 1.1.0 1.1.1 -gpgme 1.3.2. 1.4.1 -libassuan 2.0.3 2.1.0 -libgcrypt 1.5.0 1.5.2 -libgpg-error 1.10 1.11 -libksba 1.2.0 1.3.0 -paperkey 1.2 1.3 -pinentry 0.8.1 0.8.3 claws-mail 3.8.0cvs30 claws-mail-3.9.1 -curl 7.19.0 7.30.0 -gtkhtml2_viewer 0.32cvs2 0.34 -libetpan 0.58 0.58-g10-1 gpa 0.9.2 0.9.4 gdk-pixbuf 2.26.0 2.26.5 glib 2.32.0 2.34.3 gnutls 2.8.6 2.12.21 gtk+ 2.24.10 2.24.17 libffi 3.0.10 3.0.13 libgsasl 1.4.4 1.8.0 libpng 1.4.10 1.4.12 libtasn1 2.2 2.14 w32pth 2.0.2 2.0.5 zlib 1.2.5 1.2.7
2.1 Library updates for Kleopatra
To make use of improvements developed by the KDE community Gpg4Win now used the KDE-Windows buildsystem emerge. Emerge is a tool to automatically compile the KDE sources into Windows binaries. There is a community around it that keeps the build scripts up to date and works on build problems that exist for Windows. We created a special Gpg4Win branch that can automatically build a kleopatra binary package from scratch with dependencies tailored to the need of Gpg4Win.
This makes the packaging of Kleopatra more transparent and reproducable, and enables us to have a more maintainable update process for kleopatra in the future because we are now using a build process that is maintained by a larger community. The repository of the build scripts can be reviewed under http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=emerge.git&a=shortlog&h=6fd6551b2af111b11ec2ad5fcfdb244f5dadbbcf .
The packaging of Kleopatra (which files should be installed where) also had to be reworked as we needed an automated way to create such a package. This work resulted in a reduced set of files actually needed in Gpg4Win reducing the size of a Kleopatra installation from 65MB to 51MB.
The interprocess communication system used by Kleopatra has been updated to the release dbus-1.4.26 from freedesktop.org. This release is officially supported for Windows and brings improved stability and a better performance. Additionally DBus instances on Windows are now better isolated from each other. This improves the mulituser support and allows multiple installations of different DBus instances on one System. This update was also a requirement for a portable gpg4win installation.
- Changed installation paths in the new Version
- Testing the implications of the DBus isolation.
The Qt Framework used by Kleopatra has been updated to the latest stable release 4.8.4. This update brings 4 years of Qt development and is a Qt release that is supported for Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Vista. This improves the look and feel of kleopatra on modern Windows Systems and additionaly fixes several bugs that existed in the previously used 4.4 release of Qt.
Challenges were to create a reduced set of Icon.
The Icons used by Kleopatra have been updated to their current look in KDE 4.10.3.
- Packaging only the subset of Icons used by kleopatra out of the approx. 1200 Icons contained in the KDE icon set.
Kdelibs / Kdepimlibs:
The KDE libraries have been updated to Version 4.10.3, providing Kleopatra with an updated and maintainable base. This is a dependency for many of the improvements and bugfixes (like using Kleopatra with a non-latin locale) in the course of this project.
- Identifying the parts actually used by kleopatra and reducing the packaging to those parts.
- Checking for gpg4win specific changes and ensuring that they were also contained in KDE 4.10.3.
A new development branch for Kleopatra has been created that is based on on KDE 4.10.3. Changes made to Kleopatra for previous versions of Gpg4Win have been merged into this branch and into the mainstream development branch of KDE. This makes Kleopatra much more maintainable as the difference between the Kleopatra version used and developed by the KDE community and the Version contained in Gpg4Win could be reduced to a minimum.
Challenges: - Checking for gpg4win specific changes and ensuring that they were also contained in KDE 4.10.2, forwardporting old changes. - A regression in the smart card communication code causing kleopatra GUI to become frozen. - Building and installing the Kleopatra documentation so that it can be opened in a browser.
3. Kleopatra bug reports
We checked all open Kleopatra bug reports in bugs.kde.org. Here is an overview of all 132 visited issues (without state 'resolved|verified|closed'):
Use https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=NUMBER to open an issue with a given number.
- 39 issues which need more work (assigned to Intevation): 170803 175980 642325 179788 179789 183806 176152 258490 259238 246991 273439 282718 294615 300959 280087 303790 303991 308235 287145 312940 314341 316353 309461 294124 176219 267808 211246 175013 192059 209768 219923 173377 172718 166732 206686 257086 319281 175593 176072
- 19 issues which need more info (assigned to reporter): 193664 213313 270149 298103 300290 225587 308234 304103 310491 313608 315816 316582 268630 244681 248910 308096 308157 308307 308504
- 12 issues which are feature request (nobody assigned): 179790 181460 192911 194602 202195 215032 258489 279224 307963 317019 223731 175586
- 43 issues which are resolved (closed): 201764 205987 201769 240033 246628 272424 203132 196216 233764 262918 266354 177766 180565 294107 295563 190639 258691 263238 262864 297023 192104 265363 229078 202192 251220 186001 217334 108206 313313 262338 289007 269258 184049 311684
- 19 issues which are invalid (closed) 156954 290362 297034 267374 275127 311725 277018 317359 218699 174445 257417 255311 247778 204812 226983 274124 311384 315645 234136
In Ggp4win's bug tracker there were 8 Kleopatra related issues which we checked and answered.
- 7 issues which needs more tests (assigned to reporter): 1099 1220 2563 2566 2628 3234 6423
- 1 issue which is invalid (closed): 6632