Contract 'Gpg4all' 2015
- Maintenance and development of Gpg4win: Adapt it to new versions of Windows and Outlook. Consider current cryptographic recommendations. Integrate GnuPG 'modern'. Clean up Kleopatra.
- Research: How can GpgOL do MIME? How can the existing implementation be made more secure?
- Research: How could GnuPG and email/file end-to-end security be brought to webbrowsers and android devices?
Timeline and Results
Scheduled contract time line: October 2015 - October 2017
Resulting software improvements or software designs will be developed within the upstream Free Software initiatives and thus be reflected in their roadmaps like Gpg4win/Roadmap.
Parts of the research will be done in public, using this wiki for instance. The full documents to complete the contract will be in German. It is planned (but not guaranteed) to publish them under a CC-BY-SA license.
- Nutzung von OpenPGP auf Android
- Nutzung von OpenPGP in Webanwendungen
- WP1.1: GpgOL
- WP1.2: Improve Kleopatra
- Initial setup dialog
- Initialization of OpenPGP smart cards
- Associate file extensions with Kleopatra
- Auto import of missing certificates
- Easier setting of owner trust after import
- Improvements in several certificate related function and dialogs, e.g.
- Creation of revocation certificates
- Update Kleopatra to Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5, reduce KDE dependencies, add more languages for Kleopatra
- Test plan
- WP1.3: Gpg4win: general improvements
- WP1.4: Extended Quality assurance of Gpg4win
- Estimation for an automated build and test environment for Gpg4win
- Some additional automated tests
- WP2: Study about using OpenPGP in web browsers
- Technical requirements
- Analysis of available plugin/addon interfaces in Firefox and Chrome
- Description of available plugins/addons implementations providing OpenPGP
- Recommendations, including effort estimation and risk when improving an existing Free Software implementation or developing a new one.
- WP3: Study about using GnuPG on Android
The German companies Intevation GmbH and g10 code GmbH are the main technical drivers behind Gpg4win and GnuPG. For the tasks at hand they have secured additional expertise and help by the following subcontractors:
- Thomas Oberndörfer (Mailvelope GmbH)
- Dominik Schürmann (TU Braunschweig, OpenKeychain)
- Vincent Breitmoser (OpenKeychain)
- Oskar Hahn
- KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH & Co. KG