Informsec2013: Report for Milestone #3
1. What we have done for milestone #3
- Gpg4win 2.2.0 released (2013-08-20) which includes:
- new Gpg4win installer (updated components see section 2)
- website updated
- announcement on all gpg4win mailing lists (in English and German)
- GpgOL with Outlook 2010 and 2013 support (see section 3)
- New portable version (see section 4)
- Integrated feedback from gpg4win mailing lists about three Gpg4win 2.2.0-beta releases; e.g. implemented three improvements:
- Kleopatra's default setting now allows it to generate keys with a size up to 4096 bit.
- Extracting a tarball through the Kleopatra GUI now works reliable
- Fixed crash of Outlook 2010 (in GpgOL).
- Updated Kleopatra to 2.2.0
- Updated GPA to support the new GpgOL features.
- Updated Gpg4win installer.
- Gpg4win supports now Windows 8.
- Fixed typos in English Gpg4win compendium and set version to 3.0.0.
- Much communication on gpg4win mailing lists (most activity was on gpg4win-users-de list, induced by the current PRISM discussion in Germany)
- Several minor bug fixes.
- Implemented a new user access method for the new public GnuPG/Gpg4win wiki (wiki.gnupg.org): existing login data of the Roundup issue tracker at https://bugs.g10code.com/gnupg are used for wiki access.
2. Updated Gpg4win components
We updated for Gpg4win 2.2.0 the following packages:
Package old version (2.2.0-beta34) new version (2.2.0) glib 2.34.3 2.34.3 + patches gnupg 2.0.21-beta20 2.0.21 gpa 0.9.4 0.9.4 + patches gpgex 1.0.0-beta24 1.0.0 gpgme 1.4.2 1.4.3 + patches gpgol 1.1.4-git3408e00 1.2.0 gtk+ 2.2.24 2.2.24 + patches kleopatra 2.1.1 (20130528) 2.2.0 (20130820)
3. Outlook 2010/2013 support for GpgOL
The updated GpgOL plugin provides rudimentary support for Outlook 2010 and(!) 2013. The following crypto functions are already available via the new GpgOL ribbon rsp. Outlook's context menu (no MIME parsing, yet):
- Saving and decrypting attachments
- Attaching and encrypting files
- Signing and signature verification (signing using a new format variant called "double no-mime")
- Encrypting/decrypting mail bodys GpgOL for Outlook 2003 and 2007 is unaffected by these changes.
The new GpgOL version 1.2.0 is integrated into Gpg4win 2.2.0 release.
4. Gpg4win portable version
Gpg4win 2.2.0 integrate a new tool (mkportable.exe) to create a portable installation of Gpg4win.
How to create a Gpg4win portable version?
- Install Gpg4win with all components.
- Run from the install directory: mkportable.exe [OPTIONS] TARGETDIR
Use mkportable.exe --help to get all options, e.g. --full, --light (without Kleopatra) or --vanilla (GnuPG only).